Douglas • Isle of Man
An outstanding gothic design castle, circa 1830.
Rich in History
Harold Tower dates from 1833 – when the plot was sold for the purpose of constructing a house. The work may not have started immediately but is likely to have been within a few years and it was shown on Sherwood’s map of 1849 and shows the Tower form as seen today. We believe the name was used from the outset, in reference to ‘King Harold’, although this is unsubstantiated. The dedication to Harold, in grounds that had previously been part of the former Nunnery estate, may be a gesture of recompense.
Its build and hexagonal tower design was a statement of confidence and sense of worth dating from the mid-19th century. The house enjoys a striking appearance with imposing castellation and a flourish of architectural features, with distinctive windows, arched internal openings and ornamental relief by the front entrance. The house was once occupied by John Martin, the painter of "The Plains of Heaven", and was used as a hotel during the war years.
Harold Tower is a registered building and is listed on the protected building register under the Isle of Man Town and County Planning Act 1991 – The Registered Buildings (General) Regulations 1991.